Hey Y'all!

It took me awhile to get here, but alas I'm finally joining the blogosphere of bloviation. It took a rant floating around in my head to send me toward this journey, but so be it. We'll have some fun here too. I promise. Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to leave me a comment or two. ~ diane


Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Reading

I may hate the heat of summer, but there's nothing I love more than a good book to read on a hot summer's day. Indoors, that is. With air conditioning. Not that I'm fussy or anything. I've been on quite a roll lately, thrilled with some of the treasures I've discovered. The first two were gifts from Barbara Bouton, my daughter's mother-in-law - and my friend! I devoured both of them and can't wait to tell you about them.

EXPECTING ADAM - by Martha Beck. WOW! This book was such an unexpected pleasure. You might think a memoir by a young mother who's pregnant with a Down Syndrome child would not be a fun read, but you'd be oh-so-wrong in this case. I LOVED Martha Beck's writing, her sense of humor, her out-of-body experiences (seriously!), her honest analysis of Harvard University and the mindset of her peers there . . . and her transparency as she faced doing life with what others so crassly labeled a "retarded" child. For the record, I must admit I don't agree with her views on abortion, though I grieve for anyone who faces that kind of heart-breaking dilemma. I applaud her for deciding to keep her baby despite the avalanche of those who thought she was insane NOT to abort. This amazing story taught me so many beautiful lessons about the true values that matter most in life. By the time Adam arrived, I was head over heels with the little guy! Don't miss this one!

THE GLASS CASTLE - by Jeanette Walls, a successful New York writer who covers the celebrity beat, also a contributor to MSNBC. Leaving her Park Avenue apartment one night, she says, "I was sitting in a taxi, wondering if I had overdressed for the evening, when I looked out the window and saw Mom rooting through a dumpster." Quite a captivating first sentence, isn't it? This is a fascinating true memoir of a child raised in a quirky, dysfunctional family living in utter poverty most of their lives. At times you can't believe any parents could be so screwed up. At other times you can't believe how resilient Jeannette and her siblings were, growing up with a brilliant, though perpetually drunk father and a totally free-spirited mother. I know it sounds like a sad tale, but it is such a beautifully written story and one you will never forget. I've actually read this book before but I have to say, I enjoyed it way more the second time around! I consider it one of my all-time favorites!

PLAN B - by Pete Wilson, my pastor! That said, I know I'm extremely partial, but this is a phenomenal book that belongs on everyone's must-read list this summer. The subtitle of Pete's book is "What Do You Do When God Doesn't Show Up the Way You Thought He Would?" We've all been there. In the midst of living our lives, only to find our plans obliterated or our dreams shattered. What do you do? Most of us don't handle it well, even if we consider ourselves believers. Pete helps show us a better way through those difficult times, by helping us move beyond the panic and fear to see God in our circumstances, to overcome doubt and find hope again. I purposefully took my time reading Plan B, studying it as part of my daily time with the Lord. What a blessing! I encourage yourself to do the same.

SEASONS IN THE MIST - by Deborah Kinnard. And who doesn't love a good time-travel story! I thoroughly enjoyed the adventure of medieval historian Bethany Lindstrom's accidental visit to 14th century Cornwall, England. Deb's knowledge of this intriguing time period shines through her compelling story, her descriptions bringing it all to a startling reality. Each page draws you deeper into the plot and keeps you wondering how Bethany will ever get back to 21st century America. Packed full of history, romance and adventure, Seasons in the Mist is a perfect summer read. I invite you to take a trip back through Bethany's portal into a story you'll thoroughly enjoy.

WHISPERS OF THE BAYOU - by Mindy Starns Clark. I can't BEGIN to tell you how much I loved this novel! Believe it or not, I picked this one up at a book sale at our local library the day the floods hit Nashville. (Which doesn't really matter - just thought I'd tell you how I found it!) The story is about Miranda Miller, a successful art restorer at a Manhattan museum who finds herself swept back to the mysteries of her childhood at her grandparents' antebellum estate near New Orleans. The first five years of her life, erased entirely from her memory, hold secrets she's forced to uncover as she pieces together her hidden past. There were so many twists and turns I never saw coming in this story - which thrills me as a reader! I also learned so much about the history of Cajuns. Absolutely LOVED this book and immediately ordered two more in this series.

Now it's your turn! What have you been reading lately?

2 comments:

  1. I guess I'll have to add some more books to my "to be read" list (which is huge now.) I've read the "Glass Castle" and really liked it, as you did. I'm reading the new Deborah Crombie and Elizabeth George books on my Kindle. They are both mysteries set in England and are series. These are good reads but the one thing that is changing my life is the Beth Moore teaching, "When Godly People Do Ungodly Things." It's more filled with the Spirit than anything I've seen/read in years. I want to read your pastor's book and will order it. I'm still going to order yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Same Kind of Different As Me" such an inspirational book.

    ReplyDelete